Monday, November 20, 2006

Tutorial 2

Culture on the Internet

New communication technologies can be a very effective tool in allowing Internet users to communicate with family and friends without ever having the leave the comfort of your home. It is a fast, safe and cheap solution to keep in close contact with loved ones. It is fast becoming the preferred method for the younger generation over the telephone, written letters and other forms of 'old school' communication techniques.

I, personally, haven't had many experiences with making friends over the Internet. I don't frequent chat rooms due to the anonymity factor of Internet users. I would like to get to know someone and be able to judge if they are the person they portray. I feel that you cant really know a person unless you have met them in person. And even if u were to meet in person, the awkwardness is something i would like to avoid. I mainly use MSN messenger to keep in touch with relatives that are overseas and just general chatting to my friends. It is easy to use and gives me the flexibility to chat to whoever and whenever i want.

I have been using these technologies for approximately 7 years now. However, i started using them more frequently when i enrolled in the Bachelor of IT in 2002.

No comments: